Get started with YouTube Capture
Availability and requirements
YouTube Capture is available in the App Store, for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad Mini with iOS 6+.
Sign in to YouTube
When you first launch the app, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your Google Account. To sign in or out at any time, go toVideo Manager > Settings > Accounts > YouTube.To upload videos to YouTube with YouTube Capture, you’ll need a YouTube channel. Learn more about signing up andcreating a channel on YouTube.
If you recently linked your YouTube channel with a Google+ page, you can easily switch between the channels associated with your account:
- Go to Settings > Accounts.
- Touch YouTube.
- Select Choose Channel.
- Select the channel you’d like to use to upload your videos and select Done.
Record videos with YouTube Capture
How to record a video
Press and hold the record btn to record video clips. You can also start and stop recording by tapping the btn.Record as many clips as you’d like. When you’re done, touch the Edit and upload icon in the top-right corner toedit your video.
Camera and recording settings
You can adjust your camera settings before beginning any recording.
- Switch between your front-facing and back-facing camera.
- Enable or disable your camera’s flash feature.
Additional recording settings can be found under Settings.
If videos are being recorded without sound, it may be because you haven’t enabled Microphone Access. Here’s how to enable or disable Microphone Access:
- Go to your device’s Settings
- Touch Privacy
- Touch Microphone
- Enable microphone access for Capture
Settings on YouTube Capture
To access YouTube Capture settings, tap Settings from the Video Manager.
- To sign in to YouTube or to switch channels, select YouTube.
- To connect to your Google+ account, select Google+ and sign in.
- To connect to your Twitter or Facebook account, go to the iOS Settings app to sign in.
Recording settings: Landscape lock
Make your videos look great on YouTube by enabling recording on landscape mode only. This prevents your videos from having the black bars on the sides.
- Only upload on Wi-Fi: Only allow videos to upload when your device is on a Wi-Fi connection.
- Quality: Choose from 360p or 720p uploads. Higher quality videos will take longer to upload.
Report a specific issue, request a feature, or send feedback about your experience with YouTube Capture by tappingFeedback in the top right corner.
Can’t sign in to channel in YouTube Capture
If you have an existing channel and you’re being prompted to create a channel when you sign in to YouTube Capture, it may be because you recently connected your YouTube channel to a Google+ page. Connecting your channel to a Google+ page allows you to switch between identities on YouTube with a single Google Account.
How to fix the issue
If you’re using version 1.5 of YouTube Capture, please try the workarounds below until the next YouTube Capture update.
- Sign in directly to the Google+ page. To do this, assign a new username and password to the page. Then you can use those credentials to sign in with YouTube Capture.
- Disconnect your channel from the Google+ page. If you connected the channel with the page in the last 14 days, you can disconnect them. You’ll then be able to sign in to YouTube Capture just as you did before connecting the page.
Edit videos and add soundtracks
Trim clips and videos
Change the start and end points of your clips by dragging the handles. If you’re creating a multiclip video, touch the clip’s thumbnail at the bottom of the screen to trim it.
Reorder, remove, and add clips
- Reorder clips: Once you’re in the editing screen, reorder your video clips by pressing and holding them. Drag and drop your clips to rearrange them.
- Remove clips: Tap the clip you want to remove, then Remove clip at to the top of the screen. This will remove the clip from your video project, but won’t delete the original recording.
- Add clips: Tap the + icon at the bottom of the screen to record a new clip or add an existing one.
Add background music to your video by tapping Add music at the top of the editing screen.
- Select Music From Device: Upload a music track that’s stored on your iOS device. Learn more about using music in your YouTube videos.
- YouTube Soundtrack: Choose a song from an existing track list, available for free.
Once you’ve added music, change the volume by tapping the Music banner at the top of the editing screen. Use the volume slider to change the mix level of the music track. When sliding the music volume all the way to the right, the music will replace the recorded audio completely.
Title, description, tags, and other metadata
You can add a title for your video on the uploading screen (tap the right arrow at the top of the editing page to upload your video). You can only add a description, tags, and other metadata after you’ve uploaded your video. To do so, go to the Video Manager, then tap on the video you’d like to edit.
Add video enhancements
Add enhancements to your videos by tapping the … icon on the upload screen.
- Color correction – Color correction boosts the colors of your video.
- Stabilization – Stabilization reduces the shakiness of your video.
Upload and share videos on Capture
Here’s how to upload videos on YouTube Capture:
- Record a video, or select an existing one in the Video Manager .
- From the editing screen, touch the right-arrow in the top-right corner.
- Enter a title for your video. You’ll be able to adjust your video description and tags after you’ve uploaded the video.
- Touch the Public, Unlisted, Private icons at the bottom of the screen to adjust the privacy settings for your video. Learn more about video privacy settings on YouTube.
- Tap Upload at the top of the page.
While your video is uploading, you can see its progress in the Video Manager. To pause or cancel your upload, tap the thumbnail of your video while it’s queued, processing, or uploading.
Share your video
You can share your video on the “Upload to YouTube” screen, or you can do it after it’s already uploaded by navigating to the video through the Video Manager. Under the “Share” section of the “Info and Settings” page, you can simply tap on the URL to copy it to your clipboard.
Share your video to your connected social media accounts or send via SMS. To manage your connected social media accounts, go to Settings > Accounts.
Manage and delete videos with Capture
To manage your YouTube Capture videos, touch the Video Manager icon from the recording screen.
Delete uploaded YouTube videos
To delete an uploaded video from your YouTube channel, go to the Video Manager icon and select an uploaded video. Scroll down and select Delete from YouTube.Deleting the video from YouTube will not remove it completely from your phone. To delete the video entirely, you need to delete it from the Camera Roll on the iOS Photos app.
Deleting your YouTube video can’t be undone. It will also delete all the comments and views associated with that video.
Delete recorded videos and clips
To delete videos or clips that you haven’t yet uploaded, you must remove the original copy from your device. Visit the iOS Photos app and delete it from your Camera Roll. This will remove the video clips from the Video Manager in the Capture app.
Removing clips from your video project
If you simply want to remove a clip from your video project, but keep it on your device, you can do so by editing your video.