YouTube on Apple TV
Apple TV (3rd generation) now has a new version of the YouTube app developed by the YouTube team. The new version of the YouTube app unlocks content that was previously unavailable on the older version of the app and makes it easier to find what’s popular on YouTube.
Please note that the YouTube app on 1st and 2nd generation Apple TV devices is a 3rd-party app and isn’t supported by YouTube.
|Device||YouTube App||Support options|
|Apple TV (1st and 2nd generation)||For technical support, please contact your device manufacturer|
|Apple TV (3rd generation)||To report a technical issue, please fill out our feedback form or visit oursupport forum.|
Sign in to YouTube on Apple TV
Step 1: Find the activation code and sign in
- Navigate to the Sign in screen in the YouTube app and stay on this screen until you’ve completed the remaining steps.
- Visit youtube.com/activate on your computer or mobile device.
- Sign in when prompted. If you have multiple Google accounts, please select the account you use with YouTube. If you’re already signed in, skip to the steps below.
Step 2: Select your channel
After signing in, you may be presented with a list of Google identities associated with your account. This list includes:
- Your account’s personal identity. If you have a Google+ profile, it’s your name; otherwise, it’s your email address.
- Any Google+ pages managed by your account. These will show up whether or not they are linked to a YouTube channel. Be sure to select a Google+ page that is linked to a YouTube channel. If you select a Google+ page that doesn’t have a YouTube channel, you won’t be able to sign in.
Step 3: Complete the activation process
- Once you’ve selected an account, enter the activation code shown in the YouTube app on your TV.
- Click Allow access and wait for the confirmation screen in the app.
Learn more about Google Identities on YouTube.
Pair devices to Apple TV
To pair your phone or tablet to your Apple TV YouTube app, you’ll need to use the Airplay function on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. Visit the Apple Help Center to learn more.
Paid content on Apple TV
Apple TV is an easy way to enjoy YouTube paid content on your television.
YouTube Music Key
Music videos with the Ad-free badge on desktop and mobile will play ad-free in the YouTube app on Apple TV. Background and offline playback, however, are only available on the Android mobile app.
Movies and TV shows
Watch movies and TV shows purchased on YouTube by signing into the YouTube app. Navigate to the My YouTube tab and scroll down to Purchases to locate and view your purchased content.
To view purchased live events, sign into the YouTube app, and navigate to the My YouTube tab. Your purchase will appear under Purchases.
You can watch videos from any paid channel that you’ve subscribed to by signing into the YouTube app and navigating toSubscriptions.