How do I create my Instagram account?
To start using Instagram:
- Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign Up, then enter your email address and tap Next or tap Log In with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with email, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
Keep in mind, if you sign up with email, make sure you enter your email address correctly and you choose an email address that only you can access. If you log out and forget your password, you’ll need access to your email to get back into your Instagram account. Learn more about keeping your account secure.
How do I update my profile information (ex: name, username, email)?
To update your profile information, including your username and the email address associated with your account:
- Go to your profile by tapping
- Tap Edit Your Profile
- Type in your new name, username, website or bio or edit your private information then tapDone (iPhone), Save (Android) or the check mark (Windows Phone)
You can also update your information from your web profile.
Learn about what to do if you’re having trouble logging into your account.
What can I do if a username is already claimed but seems inactive?
If a username you want is being used by an account that seems inactive, you should consider choosing an available version of the username for your use on Instagram. We suggest adding periods, numbers, underscores, or abbreviations to help you come up with a great available username.
If the username you want isn’t currently associated with any account, it’s available for registration. If you’d like to change the current username on your account, you can edit your profile.
What’s Instagram’s inactive username policy?
What if an account is using my registered trademark as its username?
Trademark violations may involve using a company or business name, logo or other trademark-protected materials in a manner that may mislead or confuse others with regard to its brand or business affiliation.
What is not a violation?
Using another’s trademark in a way that has nothing to do with the product or service for which the trademark was granted is not a violation of Instagram’s trademark policy. Note that Instagram usernames are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and may not be reserved.
How do I report a trademark violation?
Learn more about other types of trademark violations or submit a report of a username violating your trademark.
I received an email that I created a new Instagram account, but I didn’t sign up for a new account.
Most likely, someone tried to sign up for an Instagram account using your email address by mistake. To remove your email from the account:
- If you have an Instagram account, log out. Before logging out, make sure the you have access to the email address currently associated with your account. Learn how to update your email address.
- Click the link at the bottom of the email that you received to let us know this wasn’t you.
You should then be able to use this email address to sign up for an Instagram account or add it to your existing account.